Part of Geo-Politics Series - Guide to Geo-Economic-Politics
- Drone Markets, Key Factors 101
- Consumer Applications
- Entertainment and Professional Photography
- Commercial Applications
- Aerospace and Deliveries Applications - Larger Drones
- Military, Defense Applications
- Drone Pilot Training, Regulations and Legal Issues
Drone Markets, Key Factors 101
- Now people are using drones for videography, deliveries, and so much more.
Many niche suppliers
Behind the large market players such as DJI and Yuneec, companies follow that either manufacture professional solutions for the most common industries (e.g. Energy, Construction, etc.) or for very specific niche applications. Often they survive by serving consumer and professional. The dual-use sector is dominated by US drone manufacturers.
Military market Vital Financier
Manufacturers in the dual-use segment often show a strong tendency towards the military market. In the past, companies in this sector were often able to conclude contracts worth millions with defense or other governmental ministries.
- Fortem - Attack Drones
- Against the Drones: How to Stop Weaponized Consumer Drones
- Why It’s So Hard to Defend Against Drones
Industry leader by Country
China shows its dominance with seven companies in the top 20 ranking of the world’s commercial drone manufacturers.
The dual-use sector is dominated by US drone manufacturers.
Drone Applications Overview
Many people use drones to capture aerial photo and video. - GoPro, DJI and Parrot
While military drones have gotten a huge amount of attention, there’s also a huge market for hobbyists. Many people use drones for fun to capture amazing photography or just to learn how to fly.
- Draco racing drone from Uvify launched Jan'2018
- OOri, a great mini drone is for consumer play as well.
- Walkera has some of the best ready-to-fly racing drones but also toy-class and professional grade
Toy Drones for Kids
On the bottom end "toys", you can grab a $30 drone from even the local grocery store - Hubspan is a under $100 drone.
OOri, a great mini drone is for consumer play as well.
- Learn to fly: Drone basics for new pilots - Drone Rush
- Best cheap drones under $100: Great toy drones - Drone Rush
- Best drones for kids: Quadcopters a child can fly - Drone Rush
- Skydio announces $170 million in Series D funding led by Andreessen Horowitz’s growth fund - Geospatial World
- Saudi Arabia’s AMAALA, SAFCSP sign MoU on emerging technologies on drones - Geospatial World
- RoboSense announces to launch new MEMS solid-state LiDAR at CES 2019
- Lockheed Martin looking forward to test GPS III capabilities
- 4 major trends influencing the growth dynamics of LiDAR market - Geospatial World
- Trimble introduces siteworks se starter edition site positioning software for construction surveying - Geospatial World
- Clearlake and TA associates to acquire data integrity software leader precisely - Geospatial World
Entertainment and Professional Photography
EMT, Fire Fighting, SAR
First responders, firefighters, search and rescue teams, security agencies
Warehouse Analytics and Monitoring
Nvidia's tech has also been used in warehouse analytics drones from company Intelligent Flying Machines, or IFM. Autonomous drones are driving exciting new capabilities – from streamlining warehouses and inspecting lengths of hard-to-access power lines in real time to aiding in search and rescue operations in difficult terrain
Field surveying and inspection
AV/DL based drones could for example be used for inspecting lengths of hard-to-access power lines.
Aerialtronics, which makes technologically advanced commercial drones that can be used for power line and wind turbine inspections and other applications.
Aerospace and Deliveries Applications - Larger Drones
Amazon has a huge global delivery operation, so it’s no surprise that they’ve been considering unmanned aircraft as a delivery solution. They started testing their Amazon Prime Air delivery service in 2019.
The FAA recently released a set of new rules that look very promising for Amazon and their fleet of drones. Small drones will now be permitted to fly without the special waivers that were previously required. This makes them one of the best drone stocks to watch right now.
Passenger flight with Drone Technology
Commercial Passenger Flights
Futurists envision that passenger drones would be part of smart cities around the world. They could potentially be used for transportation as well as shipping, firefighting, tourism, and so much more.
Military, Defense Applications
The military has long used drones to carry out covert operations
Drone Pilot Training, Regulations and Legal Issues
USA-China Security Challenges
There is a major move by Western governments to ban imports of Chinese drone technology in the current political environment of tensions between Beijing and Washington/Europe after Huawei/ZTE.
Regulations in the USA before you Fly!
- You must register your drone with the FAA before you fly
- You must affix your drone registration number to your craft
- Coming soon: The FAA will require you to pass a test before you fly your drone
- You must acquire your Part 107 certificate if you are to receive any compensation for your flight
- You must follow all of the FAA's airspace rules if you are flying outdoors
- Hobby flights have different requirements from commercial flights
- In the eye's of the FAA, drones are aircraft. Period.
- You need to acquire authorization to fly in controlled airspace
Drone Pilot Regulations are different
If you are flying for pay, or any other form of compensation, you must operate under a different set of rules and possess a commercial drone license.
Drone Pilot Training
It’s not too hard to get a commercial Drone Pilot but it will take some time to learn all the rules. We want to help you learn the rules and get your commercial license, check out sample drone pilot training materials.