European Generation Trends
European Supergrid - to provide continent-wide grid with generation from including N-Africa solar, and wind.
GDF SUEZ Medgrid a consortium of twenty plus utilities, grid operators, equipment makers, financing institutions and investors; which will implement the 'Medgrid project', a French renewable energy initiative within the framework of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM). The project, planned in North Africa, aims to promote and develop a Euro-Mediterranean electricity network of 20GW installed generating capacity, with 5GW being devoted for exports to Europe.
German initiated Desertec project
European Generation Majors
ENGQF otc French energy UTILITY c13.4 [10 - 50] y6.35%
- ENGI: Euronext
- Operates in the fields of energy transition, electricity generation and distribution, natural gas, nuclear, renewable energy and petroleum.
SEG: upstream engineering services - purchasing, operation, maintenance
The private finance initiative (PFI) was a United Kingdom government procurement policy aimed at creating "public–private partnerships" (PPPs) where private firms are contracted to complete and manage public projects.
Aug 2013 GDF integrated its legacy Cofely business with newly bought Balfour Beatty's UK Facilities Management business, further acq Lend Lease FM in 2014. It became a formidable PFI operator.
SEG: downstream - waste management, dismantling activities
French multinational electric utility company see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engie
- headquartered in La Défense, Courbevoie
Mission statement which is "to act to accelerate the transition towards a carbon-neutral economy, through reduced energy consumption and more environmentally-friendly solutions"
2016 to 2020 by Isabelle Kocher CEO - tranformed/TRANSITION: Exit coal, massive renewables
- 2019 Apr - Acq 90% of Transportadora Associada de Gás (TAG), Brazil's largest natural gas transmission system owner (2,800 miles of pipeline, 47% of the country's gas infrastructure), for €7.7 b
- 2015 Apr Becomes ENGIE to reflect IP/UK footprints better - started energy TRANSITION
- 2015 acq Solairedirect raising PV gen to 0.5Gw
- 2017 acquired Keepmoat Regeneration - energy, services and regeneration svcs
- 2013 Aug acq
- 2012 acq remaining 30% of IP - advised by Rothschild/Barclays/MS/Nomura - wheelers/dealers
- 2010 acq 70% International Power - became world's largest indep power gen
- 2008 GazdeFrance/Suez=LNG PRIVATEIZE MERGER - E75b world largest liquefied natural gas company
- OPPOSED by Leftists on price rises experienced over the previous three years
- OPPOSED by the social Gaullists and trade unions
- PRIVATIZED govt 80% GDF stake to 35% in new company
- Suez's water and waste assets spun off to public Suez Environment - No1 in water/waste
- GDF to meet EU anti-trust spun off 25% stake in Belgian utility SPE for E515m NOT EDF!
- Suez forced: cut gas distributor Fluxys, sell Belgian gas supply Distrigas to Eni
- ?? DEREGULATION of energy generation in France
- 1997 merger between the Compagnie de Suez and Lyonnaise des Eaux.
- 1946 REGULATED MKTS : Gaz de France GDF, and Électricité de France (EDF) created
- 1858 Universal Suez Canal Company founded in 1858 to construct the Suez Canal