Fashions, Brand Franchisors and Marketers
Economies of Scale in Brand Management
- IP is Depreciating Asset value eg celeb, brands! - Product Placement - to keep relevant in public eye! - Selling outlets - bulk "bundle" sales to retailers - Supply chain really cheap production eg of Printed posters - Legal cease-and-desist against copycats
US dominates brands - but limited appeal abroad!
Celebrity Brands - Sex Appeal Prints on
Sports Team Allegiances
Major Branding Franchisors
Disney, Super-hero Branding
CO: Authentic Brands Group
A New York City-based brand management company. Its holdings include various apparel, athletics, and entertainment brands, for which it partners with other companies to license and merchandise.
It dominates celebrity brands, eg the likeness rights and/or estates to a number of celebrities, including Muhammad Ali, Elvis Presley, Shaquille O'Neal, and Marilyn Monroe.
Speciality VALUATION - no sentiment - need to know how much to bid - Multi-decade values Jamie Salter after he stepped down from his role as CEO of Hilco Consumer Capital—a company that was involved in the restructuring of struggling consumer brands (such as Bombay Company and Polaroid Corporation
20 years of IP growth
- 2010 founded $250m -
- 2011 Majority of the equity was sold to Leonard Green & Partners a large PE firm.
- August 2019, BlackRock became the largest shareholder in Authentic Brands
Built by "right price bidding" on Celebrities - but hard to make money on them! Depreciating Asset value!
- likeness of Marilyn Monroe - July 2011
- Estate of Muhammad Ali, and 85% stake in Elvis Presley Enterprises - Nov'13
- Shaquille O'Neal Dec'15, etc.
Buying Brands - In Bankruptcy
- Started by Silver Star and Tapout 2010
- Juicy Couture - $195m - Oct'13
- Aéropostale - Sep'16
- controlling partner of Greg Norman's consumer products business Mar'17
- Accquire Nautica from VF Corp Mar'18
- Nine West Holdings all IP winning bidder Jun'18
- Camuta Group IP - Oct'18
- Forever 21 - Apr'2020
Buying Content, Magazines, Film, TV projects - to cross leverage e.g. MEN-FANS of Bikini/Sports ..
- Sports Illustrated from Meredith Corporation for $110 m - May'19
- Sports Illustrated Studios JV formed with David Glasser’s 101 Studios - recur series of TV series/films
- Covers two-hour docuseries from SI covers!