India Investing Scr, By Date Log, Track
- India Investing 2021
- Individual ADRs, GDRs
- 2021 Economy
- 2021 Indian Politics, Covid, Military, GeoPolitics
- 2021 By Sector
- ---- Durables
- --- Power, Utilities
- Materials, Commodities
- Services, Outsourcing, All Kinds
India Investing 2021
INDA, IFN and other ETFs
Individual ADRs, GDRs
Adani GDRs - NO NO Rejected Ideas 6/20/21 - KEEP AT BOTTOM
- after going from Re 200 -> Re 1400 -> Re 1200 - in only 2021 The market capitalisation of Adani Group shares had touched Rs 9.5 lakh crore last Friday. In the last one year, Adani Port shares surged by 145 per cent, Adani Transmission shot up by 697 per cent, Adani Green Energy 280 per cent, Adani Power by 310 per cent and Adani Enterprises 906 per cent. Adani Total Gas shares moved up from Rs 125 to Rs 1,544.55 in the last 12 months. As the promoter holds a sizable stake in Adani companies, the promoter wealth has skyrocketed during the past year. The promoter holds nearly 75 per cent in Adani Transmission, Adani Power and Adani Enterprises.
Adani Group companies plunged up to 25 per cent intra-day Monday following news reports that accounts of three foreign investor funds holding sizeable stake in the group’s companies had been frozen by National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL). 5 Mauritius funds with very opaque no info hold ~3% of Shares but regulators think violate. In June 2016, capital market regulator SEBI had passed an order directing custodians to inform depositories to freeze beneficial accounts that received underlying shares on conversion cancellation of GDR issues by 51 companies. This list does not include any Adani Group company. Another source in Sebi, who also did not wish to be named, said the frozen account reflected on the NSDL website was probably linked to that order.
AEL owners of the controversial Carmichael mine in Queensland which produces 10 MT of coal. Now they want to build a US$4bn plant in India that would use Australian coal to make plastic, seeking environmental clearances to build the massive “coal-to-PVC” plant that will take up almost 3 sq km in Mundra, Gujarat and use 3.1 Mt of coal imported “mainly from Australia, Russia and other countries”. Adani has rebranded in Australia to Bravus Mining and Resources.
- ANNRY -25% on NSDL freese but recovered to net -6% Adani Enterprises Ltd/ADR ADEL NSE AEL.? ADANIENT.NS ADANI ENTERPRISES 1,487.50 Energy Stocks NSI ADANIENT.BO ADANI ENTERPRISES LTD. 1,487.85 Energy Stocks BSE
- Adani Power Limited/ADR of INDIA - Fell -5% ADANIPOWER.NS ADANI POWER LTD 114.90 Utilities Stocks NSI ADANIPOWER.BO ADANI POWER LTD. 114.90 Utilities Stocks BSE
- ANRTY -20% Adani Ports & Special Economic Zone Limited/ADR ADANIPORTS.BO ADANI PORTS AND SPECIAL ECONOM 694.60 Industrials Stocks BSE ADANIPORTS.NS ADANI PORT SPECIAL 694.35 Industrials Stocks NSI
- AGEL fell -4% - Total acquires 20% for $2.5b ADANIGREEN.NS ADANI GREEN ENERGY 1,067.55 Utilities Stocks NSI ADANIGREEN.BO Adani Green Energy Limited 1,062.75 N/A Stocks BSE
- ?? Adani Transmission - Fell 5% ADANITRANS.NS ADANI TRANSMISS.IN 1,240.15 Utilities Stocks NSI ADANITRANS.BO Adani Transmission Limited 1,235.90 Utilities Stocks BSE
- ?? Adani Total Gas - Fell 5% ATGL.BO ADANI TOTAL GAS LIMITED 1,258.10 N/A Stocks BSE ATGL.NS ADANI TOTAL GAS LIMITED 1,258.45 Utilities Stocks NSI
Reliance Industries Ltd M=188b
- RELIANCE-IN:NSE cRe 2,104 (1700-2400) div Re 7 = 0.33%
Reliance Industries Ltd. manufactures petrochemicals, synthetic fibers, fiber intermediates, textiles, blended yarn and polyester staple fiber. The Company also owns a petroleum refinery cum petrochemicals complex in Jamnagar, India that produces a wide range of products such as gasoline, superior kerosene oil and liquefied petroleum gas.
Q1'21 INR 1496b NI INR 132b, n% 8.8%
- Assets total INR 13,212 b, Liabilities total INR 5,218 b, Debt to Assets 20%
- EPSttm Re 76.6
Why so few, Future Small ADRs?
According to reports, more than 50 Indian companies will soon be trading over the counter in the US. These will be Level 1, unsponsored ADRs.
Grasim Industries Limited (OTC: GRSXY)
Grasim Industries Limited a flagship company of the Aditya Birla Group in India was started as a textile manufacturer but eventually diversified into the business of Viscose Staple Fibre and Cement. The shares of Grasim Industries are listed as global depository receipts on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited (OTCQX: MTENY) Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited or MTNL for short is a state-owned telecommunications company providing fixed-line service, internet and mobile services in the cities of Mumbai and Delhi. MTNL provides telecommunication services in Nepal and Mauritius through joint ventures and subsidiaries.
2021 Indian Politics, Covid, Military, GeoPolitics
Oligarchs influencing Government
- Ambani - Mukesh
- $10b Green energy push
- $10b+ Aramco invests in Reliance refinery
Jio sucks up investments from GOOG, MSFT, FB - wipes out its JIO debt
Covid 2021 - Delta and Vaccinations apace
2021 By Sector
EC Disruption in India
Founded in 2000, MakeMyTrip Limited (MMYT) is India’s leading travel company that allows users to make airline and rail bookings as well as hotel reservations online. The company is a dominant player with a market-share of 47% (PhocusWright, 2013). MakeMyTrip Limited made a very impressive debut on Nasdaq in 2010 with its share prices gaining as much as 75%. While the company reported a 17% increase in its revenue for fiscal 2015 vis-à-vis the revenue for fiscal 2014, its net income has struggled to stay positive. The company has made many investments in recent past that should pay off with time, however, for now the lukewarm response by investors is evident in its share prices, which are down by 48% year-to-date in 2015. Increased use of internet coupled with the growing middle class in India does offer room for growth; MakeMyTrip needs to combat stiff competition from peers.
FY'2015 The share price of the company dropped by 19% and 15% in 2013 and 2014 each, the weakness has continued with its shares down by 47% year-to-date in 2015. Rediffmail.com Limited reported revenue of $15.34 million for the fiscal year 2015, a decline of 4.86% year-on-year while its net income was reported at ($13.81 million), further from 85% of the net income of ($7.47 million) in the previous fiscal. The share prices have taken a beaten, given the dismal performance reflected by the company’s earnings in the last few financial years.
CORE: provides digital content and commerce services. It operates through two major segments, one being the India Online Business and the other the US Publishing Business.
About Rediff.com India
- 1996 inc is a Mumbai-based internet company
- Rediff.com India Limited became India’s first dot.com company to be listed on Nasdaq.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited (RDY), founded in 1984, is a leading global pharmaceutical company engaged in manufacturing and marketing a range of pharmaceutical products and services. Dr. Reddy’s made its debut on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in April 2001, and currently has a market capitalization of $10.90 billion.
The company has a strong financial position; it has experienced a rise in its revenues over the years with the latest annual revenue standing at $2.38 billion at the end of fiscal year 2015. The debt levels are reasonable with a positive trend in net income. The shares of Dr. Reddy’s rose by 23% in 2013. Even in the year 2014, its shares maintained the momentum and rose another 23%; its shares are currently up by 27% year-to-date in 2015. Although, the stock movement is volatile during the uptrend, it is one of the good picks in the healthcare space.
FY'15 The company can boast of strong revenue growth over the years. Tata Motors reported revenue of $42.04 billion for the fiscal year 2015, a rise of 7% vis-à-vis the previous fiscal. Tata Motors was listed on NYSE in 2004 and currently has a market capitalization of $ 11.91 billion. The shares of Tata Motors were up by 7% in 2013 and 37% in 2014. However, despite strong revenue and future growth prospects, concerns over China’s slowdown and thus sales of luxury cars have pulled down its stock by 47% year-to-date in 2015. Nevertheless, Tata Motors is well-positioned to recover from this current phase of weakness and can be a good long-term buy.
CORE: Luxury acq of Land Rover, Jaguar, UK - bulk of revenues from that
SEG: Commercial vehicle segment Leader
SEG: among the top players in the passenger vehicle segment.
Future of ACQ? South Korea’s Daewoo Commercial Vehicles Company.
About: Tata Motors Ltd - India’s largest automobile co
- Established in 1945
--- Power, Utilities
AZRE R7 scap????
- FY'21 - M 1.2b y+54% c24.7 (15-54) 0% y
$262m EPS -1.2 on
About: Azure Power Global Ltd
VEDL xx - Promoters manipulate stock up/down
One of the world’s largest natural resources company with presence in India, South Africa, Namibia, Ireland, Liberia, Australia, and Sri Lanka. The company was incorporated in 1975 as Rainbow Investment Limited, a year later, its name was changed to Sterlite Cables Limited and then again to Sterlite Industries (India) Limited in 1986. In 2013, as a result of the merger of Sesa Goa Limited and Sterlite Industries (India) Limited, the name was changed to Sesa Sterlite Limited, which was renamed in April 2015 to Vedanta Limited. The company has been trading on NYSE since 2007.
The trend of decline in commodity prices in recent years has impacted Vedanta’s profitability. Vedanta reported a drop of 8.72% and 3.47% in revenue at the end of fiscal 2014 and 2015. Investors are wary about the slowdown in business with the ‘commodity cycle’ coming to an end, something that has negatively impacted its share prices, which are down by 63% year-to-date in 2015.
Oil - Ethanol 20% a gold rush on surplus Sugar cane
Services, Outsourcing, All Kinds
FY'15ish M=$187.45 million. While the company reported an increase of 17% in its revenue to touch $205.56 million at the end of fiscal 2015, the net income hasn’t shown a great performance over the last few years. The investor disappointment is reflected in its share price movement. The shares were up by 9% in 2013, while they dropped by 37% in 2014 and are down by 23% year-to-date in 2015.
About: SIFY Technologies Ltd
- incorporated in 1995 as Satyam Infoway Private Limited. SIFY is among the largest providers of integrated information and communications technology solutions and services.
- 1999 listed on Nasdaq in 1999
WIT x - Premji CEO has total control - little growth/innovation
Global information technology, consulting and outsourcing company that helps customers to do business better. The company was established as Western India Vegetable Products Limited in 1945 and was listed on the NYSE in the year 2000.
WIPRO posted revenues of $7.51 billion and net income of $1.38 billion for fiscal 2015. The company’s revenue increased by 10.1%, 5.5% and 3.2% in 2013, 2014 and 2015, respectively, while the net income moved up by 11.7%, 6.9% and 5.9% during the same period. The company has a market capitalization of $30.11 billion. The share price of WIPRO zoomed up by 59% in 2013 while 2014 witnessed a dip of 10%. In the current year the shares are up by 9% year-to-date. There exists great opportunity for the company to expand and grow domestically as wel
FY'2015 Infosys reported revenue of $8.71 billion for the fiscal year 2015, a rise of 5.6% year-on-year. The revenue rose by 5.7% and 11.5% during the fiscal 2013 and 2014, respectively. The share price of Infosys spiked by almost 34% in 2013 followed by 11% in 2014; in the current year the shares are up by almost 20% year-to-date. The company is looking at grow at 10-12% at constant currency during the current fiscal 2016 and aims to achieve a goal of $20 billion in revenue with an operating margin of 30% by 2020.
About: Infosys Ltd
- Started by seven engineers in 1981 with a capital of just $250.
- Now Infosys second largest global consulting and IT services company (in terms of revenue) in India and a world renowned name providing services to enterprises based in North America, Europe and Asia-Pacific region. I
- 1999 First Indian company to be listed on Nasdaq in the year 1999,
- Nasdaq-100 index in 2006.
- 2012, the company shifted its Nasdaq-listed ADRs to the New York Stock Exchange.
- About: WNS Holdings Ltd - outsourcing
- 1996 started as an in-house unit of British Airways.
- 2003 BPO process outsourcing services to third parties.
WNS has grown through a mix of organic and inorganic growth initiatives and today the company is a leader in global business process management (BPM) with a market capitalization of $1.45 billion.
WNS Holdings Limited has a strong financial record with its profits and revenue growing at a healthy rate on the back of a favorable currency movement, among other things. The company’s revenue was recorded at $533.89 million at the end of fiscal 2015, a rise of 6.22% year-on-year while its net income increased 40% to touch $58.61 million. The shares of WNS increased by a whopping 110% in 2013, while corrected by 5.71% in 2014, the stock is up 36% year-to-date in 2015. The strong growth in revenue, rising net income and currency trends portray a positive picture for the stock.
IBN R7 on Value Dips - restructuring after Kochar scams
FY'15 - Total assets worth $103 billion, The bank has lately struggled with the rising figures of bad loans. According to ICICI Bank’s SEC Filing, "We experienced a significant increase in the downgrade of standard restructured loans to the non-performing category, which increased from $112 million (Rs. 730 crore) in fiscal 2014 to $694 million (Rs. 4,510 crore) in fiscal 2015, due to the failure of some of our restructured borrowers to perform as expected”. The skepticism about the bank’s asset quality is reflecting on its share price, which is down by almost 31% year-to-date. This can be a good opportunity for investors to buy shares with a long-term view as ICICI Bank is will emerge back strong from the current chaos and financial stress.
ABOUT: ICICI Bank Limited - Largest private sector bank in India by assets
- 1994 soon after RBI policy changes allowed private sector banks to operate in India
- 1999 ICICI Bank was the first Indian company to be listed on the NYSE in as well as the first bank from non-Japan Asia.
- operations spanning across 17 countries.
- subsidiaries of the bank are among the largest companies in areas of securities brokerage, asset management, private equity and insurance.
- About: HDFC Bank - India’s largest and most reputed bank
- 1994 founded after liberalization of the banking industry by RBI, started 1995
HDFC offers a complete suite of products (retail banking, wholesale banking and treasury) to meet diverse customer needs, be it individuals in both urban and rural areas, corporate or government institutions.
HDFC has a sound financial track record that projects steadiness and growth. The company declared revenue of $9.28 billion, an increase of 12.38% year-on-year at the end of fiscal 2015 with a net income of $1.58 billion, a rise of 19.40% vis-à-vis fiscal 2014. The shares of HDFC Bank Limited were down by 18% in 2013 while they bounced back with 54% returns on 2014. HDFC Bank Limited is currently up 18% year-to-date. The vastly ‘under-banked’ scenario presents about the huge prospects for banks to expand and penetrate into those areas of the country.