India 2030: Projects for R&D, Makers, Design Collaboration, xIITDs
- Tech & R&D initiatives in India - An Overview
- Maker OS Patterns - Reproducible templates Relevant to India
- IIT R&D Efforts
Tech & R&D initiatives in India - An Overview
- Self Driving Cars are less relevant than being able to monitor road quality with rapid construction in India.
Actionable - Usable for production
Solving real DOMAIN challenges, today
- Needs domain knowledge in real world - rubber hits the road
- Today - right stage state-of-the-art today vs future R&D/Publishing years outs
- Theoretical techniques vs practical deployment.
Maker OS Patterns - Reproducible templates Relevant to India
Modi's program for this
SATHI - centers for R&D Tooling - IITkgp, IITd to start
Setup 15 centers - 80% of time to be available to outsiders of institutes
Problem is R&D Tooling is not available outside Univ labs, CSIR, DRDO, or corporates
- The instruments should help in characterisation, testing and fabrication work. Finally, some specific instruments would be needed for institutions that will be focussed on specific sectors.
IIT Kharagpur has been selected for setting up a Sophisticated Analytical and Technical Help Institute (SATHI) to extend help to the academic institutes in the neighbouring region. As per DST mandate, the SATHI Centre will run 24x7 round the year. At least 70 per cent of instrument use time will be reserved for external users from other academic institutes, national laboratories, start-ups, entrepreneurs and the industry, the statement said. The facility would involve the highest level of expertise of IIT KGP in several key convergence domains of science and technology such as medical sciences, soft materials, structural and safety engineering, etc.
This is a Department of Science and Technology initiative of the Centre, for which Rs 125 crore has been earmarked over a period of three years.
IIT R&D Efforts
Overview of promise and fail
- The IIT Story: Issues and Concerns
- What is taking the sheen off India's best engineering brand - IITs
- How IITs Turned From Nehru's Vision of Technology To Catering Engineers for MNCs
- Super failure: Horrors of IIT dream
- Professor Anurag Rathore, dean, corporate relations, IIT-D
Big ones - Director
To improve rankings, trying to get more industry funding
- The number of industry sponsored projects has doubled in 2018 at the institute since 2014. From 164 industry-sponsored projects worth Rs 87.1 crore in 2014-15, the number grew to 317 worth Rs 347.52 crore in 2018-19. The highest revenue from sponsored research was recorded in 2017-18, which was worth Rs 417.19 crore.
We have been working with our corporate partners for years. In 2018-19 alone, we worked on more than 1,000 sponsored consultancy and research projects worth over 390 crores
- IITD is focusing on projects across domains such as defence, auto, pharma and smart home devices
- Targeting to ramp up funding for research work to Rs 550 crore 2019fy yoy Rs 400 cr
IIT Delhi ranks 182 in this list while in the NIRF list it ranks second among Indian engineering colleges.
IIT-D plans to set up research parks at three campuses - main campus, Sonipat and Jhajjar to propel design and development of advanced technologies, incubate more startups and promote impactful industry collaborations.
Industry Day, held end Sep every year, in 2019 was 3rd year and 150 companies participated- gets Re 60 cr/yr in projects up from Re 30 cr from this in 2017. - promoted by V Ramgopal Rao, director. 50 products would be showcased and there were five themes for this Industry day-clean energy for sustainable economy and environment, sustainable medical technologies, emerging nano and advanced materials, sustainable environment and make in India.
- Drone technology by BotLab Dynamics
- green technology based pigeon repellant by Clensta
- plant based alternates to animal based foods
- bioresorbable cardiac stent,