Kotlin ===== ST4US
- KT for US
- AR KT our strategy
- KEY: Android is ONLY true leg for Kotlin to stand on!
- Android dev being messed with China/Huawei OS, React, NG-Ionic, Fluttr, Fuscia
- KEY: iOS is the test case for Kotlin to engage - if it doesn't work ios+andr - screwed!
- KEY: Java-First - JVM progs will stick to Standard Java - not migrate to "NEW" lang
- KEY: Java base is declining
- KEY: It is VERY Early days for kJS - experimental - Stay Away
- KT What Why
- KT BPR, Scaling, Use Cases
- KT History & Language Evolution
- kN AR Review and Comparisons
KT for US
All examples, IS,BR,Alarms,Timers
Kotlin Intermediate r blogs
Free Online Training "Boost your Android productivity with Kotlin" How Kotlin became our primary language for Android – UPTech Team LiME Creative Labs - El blog de Antonio Leiva sobre diseño y desarrollo de interfaces en Android
kAndr Webview Wrappers
mcxiaoke/kotlin-koi: Koi, a lightweight kotlin library for Android Development. - KOTLIN webview wrapper - Google Search - QuaestioOrg/android-kotlin-webview: An Android WebView simply converted from Java to Kotlin using the basic Android Studio tool. - Tutorial for displaying a website in an Andriod app using a Webview component - Android and the WebView
Full Kotlin Ex
AR KT our strategy
KEY: Android is ONLY true leg for Kotlin to stand on!
Android dev being messed with China/Huawei OS, React, NG-Ionic, Fluttr, Fuscia
KEY: iOS is the test case for Kotlin to engage - if it doesn't work ios+andr - screwed!
KEY: Java-First - JVM progs will stick to Standard Java - not migrate to "NEW" lang
KEY: Java base is declining
KEY: It is VERY Early days for kJS - experimental - Stay Away
KT What Why
Why, Compare Lang
- Scala 65Mb - cut using proguard - but as you start using it .. size grows
- Groovy - performance poor - NY Timea app
- Swift - not for google
- Java 10 - ANDROID today is really
Why Convincing your boss
made by JetBrains open source, non-profit foundation pragmatic safe(r than Java) “good” magic ✨
Kotlin for grumpy Java developers – Pinterest Engineering – Medium https://antonioleiva.com/kotlin-for-android-introduction/ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ReS3ep-hjxWA8kZi0YqDbEhCqTt29hG8P44aA9W0DM8/edit?hl=es&forcehl=1
Kn for Android - faster perf?
Why Compared to Java
Google adopted as 2nd official language for Android after Java
Relatively fast learning curve: compared to Scala for instance, we are moving in a much simpler scope. Kotlin is much more limited, but it´s easier to start if you´ve never used a modern language before.
Lightweight: Kotlin library is small compared to others. This is important because Android method limit is always a problem, and though there are some options to solve it such as proguard or multidexing, all of these solutions will add complexity and will be time consuming when debugging. Kotlin adds less than 7000 methods, more or less the same as support-v4.
Highly interoperable: It works extremely well with any other Java libraries, and the interoperability is very simple. That´s one of the main ideas the Kotlin team kept in mind while developing this new language. They want to use it to continue developing their current projects written in Java without having to rewrite the whole code. So
Kotlin needs to be extremely interoperable with Java code.
Making complicated apps on iOS using Kotlin will be difficult, but you can make some simple apps.
- The Case Against Kotlin – Pinterest Engineering – Medium
- Exploring Kotlin’s hidden costs — Part 1 – Christophe Beyls – Medium
- Exploring Kotlin’s hidden costs — Part 2 – Christophe Beyls – Medium
- Exploring Kotlin’s hidden costs — Part 3 – Christophe Beyls – Medium
KT BPR, Scaling, Use Cases
Leaders BPR Cases
KT Use Cases
- Basecamp https://m.signalvnoise.com/how-we-made-basecamp-3s-android-app-100-kotlin-35e4e1c0ef12 https://m.signalvnoise.com/some-of-my-favorite-kotlin-features-that-we-use-a-lot-in-basecamp-5ac9d6cea95
KT History & Language Evolution
- Spring <3 Kotlin Developing a Geospatial Webservice with Kotlin and Spring Boot
On the language front, Kotlin 1.2 provides improved smart casts and type inference in certain cases; a new kotlin.math package in the standard library; and new standard library functions to work with sequences and collections.
Kotlin’s compiler has become significantly faster in version 1.2, outperforming Kotlin 1.1’s by 25%. Further improvement is planned for future minor releases of 1.2.
immutable collections universal serialization type classes multiplatform metaprogramming
kN AR Review and Comparisons
Compare to Swift for IOS
Comparisons with other esp JVM languages
vs Scala: Light, Better tools and faster compile-debug
vs Py: Static typing so has same performance as Java
Perfectly integrated with Android Studio and Gradle: we have one plugin for the IDE and another one for Gradle, so it won´t be difficult to start an Android project using Kotlin (this is what I´ll talk about in the next article).
Ironically could make JNI, use of C++ easier in Java projects
Swift for Java ecosystem .. pushing heavily into Web Services, etc. might get used for IOS too
Somewhat inspired by Objective-C for IOS API integration?
There is a roadmap from jetbains that includes making code reusable on iOS.